At The Smile Center, we offer a variety of dental services to handle any of your needs. From general check-ups and preventative care to cosmetic dentistry and restorative procedures, we have you covered. One of the most common complaints among patients is the color of their teeth, a problem that is often easily remedied by whitening treatment.
Once you have your new set of sparkling pearly whites, there are many things you can do at home to ensure your teeth remain vibrant and healthy.
- Brush your teeth – It may sound simple, but many people still don’t know how to brush their teeth properly. First, make sure that you are brushing a minimum twice daily. Use a soft bristle toothbrush and toothpaste with fluoride. Second, place your brush at a 45-degree angle to the gum and brush using a slow, circular motion. Third, make sure to brush all of the surfaces of the teeth and don’t forget to brush your tongue to eliminate bacteria and freshen breath!
- Daily flossing – Flossing is an extremely important step in making certain to clean food debris from in between the teeth. Take about a foot of floss around your index fingers, leaving a couple of inches between your hands. Carefully insert the floss in a back and forth motion between the teeth. Wrap the floss around each tooth to clean the gum line and gently slide up and down to clean the surface of the tooth.
- Rinsing – Make sure to rinse your mouth in between meals and after each brushing and flossing session. This is especially true after you’ve consumed dark colored foods or beverages or are unable to brush.
- Eat a balanced diet – A diet rich in whole grains, fruits, and vegetables is vital to preventing tooth decay and maintaining beautiful teeth. Avoid dark colored foods and beverages as they can easily stain teeth. You should also avoid food and drinks that are high in sugar or acid as they can erode enamel, making the teeth appear dull.
- Stop using tobacco – Tobacco products are known to cause halitosis (bad breath) and stains your teeth. They can also increase your risk for gum disease and oral cancer.
- Limit caffeine and alcohol – Both substances can cause staining of the teeth and they have been linked to sleep disorders which can be an underlying cause of bruxism (tooth grinding). Tooth grinding can wear the teeth down until they chip or break and require restorative treatment.
With proper at-home care and regular visits to your dentist every six months, you will enjoy a beautiful and healthy mouth. Call today to set up an appointment at The Smile Center in Buffalo today.