Dentist in Buffalo, NY offers general dental care tips for healthy teeth and gums
With Dr. Gordon Kent, patients around the Buffalo, NY area can obtain quality dental care. At the Smile Center, we offer general, cosmetic, and restorative dentistry solutions for patients. In addition, we also educate patients on preventative care that can help them achieve healthy teeth and gums. Our dentist is dedicated to assisting patients in achieving the smile they’ve always wanted! With general care and attention, most patients can keep healthy teeth for many years to come!
What are some oral health tips to consider?
By taking care of the smile, most patients can keep their teeth and gums healthy for life. However, many patients are unsure about what they can do to achieve these results. Below are a few recommendations from Dr. Gordon Kent of the Smile Center:
- Brush teeth after every meal. We all know that brushing twice a day can help maintain a healthy smile. However, brushing teeth after every meal will help in removing food particles. Additionally, when patients eat or drink sugary items, these sugars can work with bacteria in the mouth to create acids that eat away at tooth enamel and can contribute to the development of cavities. Brushing is also highly recommended for patients who have braces, as teeth can become even more challenging to keep clean between snacks and meals.
- Floss the teeth at least once a day. Many patients overlook flossing as part of their dental routine. Daily flossing, preferably at the end of the day, can remove any food particles that may become stuck between the teeth and are not reachable with a toothbrush.
- Use fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride can assist in protecting against cavities and periodontal disease and is often integrated into many over-the-counter kinds of toothpaste. Use the proper amount when brushing to protect the smile.
- Eat a nutritious diet. Patients who eat healthy foods and reduce their sugar intake may enjoy a beautiful smile for longer! Foods and beverages high in sugars can be detrimental to oral health. Fruits and vegetables are always recommended and should make up a good portion of one’s dietary intake.
- Visit the dentist twice a year. Patients of all ages should visit their dentist every six months for a routine examination and cleaning. The examination often includes x-rays to check the health of the teeth, gums, and bone outside of what can be physically seen. Our dental hygienists will also perform a cleaning, getting into those hard-to-reach areas that may be overlooked by patients during their daily dental hygiene routine.
- Schedule an appointment when problems arise. The earlier a problem is diagnosed, the sooner the doctor can treat it, and the less likely it is that the issue will develop into a more significant, more expensive concern in the future. The minute patients notice problems such as sensitivity of the teeth, bleeding of the gums, or other concerns, they are encouraged to book an appointment with Dr. Kent. This proactive approach is one of the best ways to maintain a healthy smile.
- Consider sealants and fluoride applications. Children and some adults may be more susceptible to developing cavities and periodontal disease. This is when a dentist may apply sealant or fluoride treatments during a dental visit to act as an extra layer of defense. Patients can request to have these done, or the dentist may recommend them, depending on the specific dental health concerns and needs.
- Maintain a relationship with a family dentist. By staying with the same dental team for years, patients can build a trusting and lasting relationship with the professional staff. When patients routinely switch dental providers, their dental health can be more difficult to monitor.
Request a visit with Dr. Gordon Kent and his team today!
At the Smile Center in Buffalo, NY, patients in the community can work with an experienced provider to obtain healthy teeth and gums—and maintain them for life! By creating the proper healthy foundation, patients can enjoy years of beautiful smiles! If you are ready to work with a professional who is dedicated to educating patients on their oral health needs, contact Dr. Gordon Kent today by calling 716-634-4090 . His front office team can arrange a dental examination and consultation with the dentist to start taking charge of dental health!
Back to Dental Care Page