Fluoride is one of those things that you probably don’t need to think about that much. BUT it doesn’t hurt to know a few quick facts about it.
- Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that keeps the enamel on your teeth nice and strong.
- It’s a key player in preventing cavities.
So why don’t you need to think about it?
Because in the U.S., it’s added to most public drinking water supplies. (Fluoride is found in water naturally, but it’s not enough to prevent tooth decay.) Which means it’s also found in food and beverages that are processed with fluoridated water — even juice and soda. In fact, you get about 75% of your needed fluoride intake just from water and processed beverages! On top of that, everyday dental health products like toothpaste and mouthwash have fluoride in them.
So as long as you’re…
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Drinking fluoridated water (check with your water utility provider)
- Getting bi-annual fluoride treatments from your dentist
…you’re good to go!
That’s Oral Health 101 for today!
Any questions?? Call us with any questions or to set up your appointment!
CALL OUR OFFICE TODAY